Helpful Hint:The first MOT test for a vehicle is required when it's three years old.
Everyone who uses a vehicle on the road is required to keep it in a roadworthy condition at all times. The roadworthiness is checked in the interests of road safety and the environment by the test we call the MOT. The first test is required once a motor bike is three years old.
The MOT looks at some important items on your motor bike to see that they meet the key legal minimum requirements at the time of test. You should be aware that the MOT certificate is not a guarantee of the general mechanical condition of a vehicle.
What is included in the MOT Test?
Lights -condition, operation, security and correct colour of headlamp(s), rear lights, indicators and reflectors. Also the headlamp(s) will be checked to see if the aim is correct.
- Steering/suspension -condition, security and operation, including forks, handlebars, grips mountings, head bearings, swinging arm, shock absorbers and damping effect etc.
- Wheels and tyres -wheel condition and security, tyre condition, size/type, fitment, tread depth and valve condition.
- Frame -free from cracks, damage, distortion or corrosion which is likely to affect the steering or braking.
- Braking -condition, operation and performance (efficiency test), brake controls.
- Exhaust System - complete,secure and not too noisy.
- Fuel system - for leaks and security of components.
- Seats - Riders seat for presence and any seat for security.
- Wheel alignment -correct alignment of front and rear wheels.
- Sidecars (when fitted) -includes checks on; attachment, alignment,
suspension, wheel bearings, wheel alignment, lights and tyres.
- Horn -correct operation and the correct type.
- Registration plates/vehicle identification/frame no - present, legible.
- Drive chain and sprocket - Chain not too loose/tight or worn, sprockets
for wear, chain guard for security.
- Throttle - correct operation.
- Clutch lever - not so bent,damaged or shortened that it cannot be
- Footrests - for presence and security.